Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana –“Saubhagya”
- Objective – To ensure electrification of all willing households in the country in rural as well as urban areas here today.
- The total outlay of the project is Rs. 16,320 crore (Rural /Urban- 14025 crore/2295 crore ),while the Gross Budgetary Support (GBS)/ government own financial input, is 12,320 crore.
- Target year – 31st December 2018.
- The beneficiaries for free electricity connections would be identified using Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011 data.
- Un-electrified Households not covered under SECC 2011, will also be covered with a payment of 500, recovered by DISCOMs in 10 Installments.
- The solar power packs of 200 to 300 Wp with battery bank for un-electrified households located in remote and inaccessible areas, comprises of Five LED lights, One DC fan, One DC power plug. It also includes the Repair and Maintenance (R&M) for 5 years.
- The expected outcome of the Scheme is as follows:
(a) Environmental upgradation by substitution of Kerosene for lighting purposes
(b) Improvement education services
(c) Better health services
(d) Enhanced connectivity through radio, television, mobiles, etc.
(e) Increased economic activities and jobs
(f) Improved quality of life especially for women
- Beneficiaries shall be identified and their application for electricity connection along with applicant photograph and identity proof shall be registered on spot in a dedicated mobile App.
- The Gram Panchayat/Public institutions in the rural areas may be authorised to collect application forms along with complete documentation, distribute bills and collect revenue in consultation with the Panchayat Raj Institutions and Urban Local Bodies.
- The Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) will remain the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme throughout the country.
- The electricity connection to households includes- release of electricity connections by drawing a service cable from the nearest electricity pole to the household, installation of energy meter, a single light point with LED bulb and a mobile charging point.
- Poor households would be provided electricity connections free of cost.
- Other households would also be provided electricity connections under the scheme on payment of Rs.500 only which shall be recovered by the DISCOMs/Power Departments in ten installments along with electricity bill. The cost of electricity consumption shall have to be paid by the consumers as per tariff of the DISCOM/Power Deptt.
How Saubhagaya yojana different from Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) and Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS)?
- DDUGJY was to create basic electricity infrastructurein villages , strengthening of existing infrastructure, metering of existing feeders , improve quality and reliability of power supply in rural areas.
- Last mile connectivity and free electricity connections are also provided in DDUGJY to BPL households to only those identified by the States as per their list.
- Certain problems faced in DDUGY, – 1. villages which are electrified in past for a long period, many households do not have electricity connections for many reasons ; 2. Some of the really poor households do not have BPL cards but these households are not capable of paying applicable initial connection charges.
- There is also lack of awareness as to how to get connection or taking connection is not an easy task for illiterate people.
- In urban areas, Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS) provides for creation of necessary infrastructure to provide electricity access but some households are not yet connected mainly on account of their economic condition as they are not capable of paying the initial connection charges.
- Saubhagya has been launched to plug such gaps and comprehensively address the issues of entry barrier, last mile connectivity and release of electricity connections to all un-electrified households in rural and urban areas.
- Project proposals shall be prepared by the State DISCOMs / Power Deptt. (Electricity Distribution is a State subject)
- sanctioned by an inter-ministerial Monitoring Committee headed by Secretary (Power), GOI.
- The electrification works under the sanctioned projects shall be executed by respective DISCOMs/Power Deptt.
- camps would be organised in villages / cluster of villages for identification of beneficiaries using modern IT technology with a Mobile App / Web Portal.
- The Gram Panchayat / public institutions in rural areas shall also be authorized to collect application form, complete documentation and also for distribution of bills, collection of revenue and other activities, as applicable.